Re: Announce: MPFR 2.2.1 is released

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Bruce Korb wrote:

> Hi Kaveh,
>
> Requiring this is a bit of a nuisance. mpfr requires gmp so I had to
> go pull and build that only to find:
>
> checking if gmp.h version and libgmp version are the same...
> (4.2.1/4.1.4) no
>
> which is a problem because I cannot have /usr/local/lib found before
> /usr/lib for some things, yet for mpfr I have to find gmp in
> /usr/local/lib first. The normal way for this to work is for mpfr to use
> gmp-config to find out where to find headers and libraries. This was not
> done. I don't have an easy route from here to there.
>
> Now, what? :( Thanks - Bruce

It's not clear from your message whether this is a problem limited to
mpfr-2.2.1, or 2.2.0 had this also. In any case, I think the mpfr
configure process is right to stop you from shooting yourself by using a
mismatched gmp header and library.

I'm not sure why you can't put /usr/local/lib first, but I totally
sympathize! :-)  I've had access to boxes where what got put into
/usr/local by previous users was really old garbage and I didn't want to
suck it into my builds.

The way I solved it was to put my stuff in another directory (e.g.
/usr/local/foo) then I could safely put that directory ahead of /usr and
not worry about wierd side-effects from unrelated things.  Try installing
gmp (and mpfr) in their own dir and use --with-gmp=PATH when configuring
gcc.  Let me know if that works for you.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu