Re: why gengtype not a filter for GTY?

On 11/28/06, Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

Dear All (and especially those implied in the GCC internal garbage collector).

I read (and contributed a bit to) http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Memory_management
and also read http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Type-Information.html

However, there is still a question which puzzles me a lot? Why gengtype is
not a sort of filter or generator (like yacc is) taking a (list of) files on
input and producing a file on output?

More precisely, why gengtype does not take the name of files to be parsed
for GTY(()) thru its program argument (ie argc,argv of its main - they are
explicitly marked as unused in $GCCTOP/gcc/gengtype.c)

I would believe it should make things simpler (in a lot of places) but I
cannot understand why it is not so? Why are the set of files to be parsed
for GTY()) so hard-coded in gengtype?

Because nobody has had the urge to change it yet?

BTW, it is strange that gengtype* files do not mention anyauthor or
contributor (with an email to contact them)?

IF you wrote gengtype, the way it is now, would you want to be listed
as the author?
:)
I kid, I kid.