Re: compile time testsuite [Re: alias slowdown?]

On 11/21/06, Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> wrote:

> Public monitoring would be more useful. If you have working single-file > testcases that you want be monitored for compile-time and memory-usage > just contact me and I can add them to the daily tester > (http://www.suse.de/~gcctest/c++bench/).

Hey Richard! Wow, this page is great: I'm amazed I didn't know about
it. Thanks for the link. It's also nice to see a good database of
libstdc++ performance testing results: this is really useful to me and
I appreciate this resource being shared on the web.

I do think that some kind of in-repository testsuite is necessary. I
think this is important if people want to systematically tests
compile-time performance *before* things are checked in, on their own
machines.

Over the long haul, I think that one of the safe generalizations about
gcc infrastructure is that single points of failure should be avoided.

So, I consider public monitoring complementary, but not something that
obviates the real need for a consensus on what exactly are the things
that are going to measured for compile-time regressions.

One problem with in-repository testing is that for compile-time performance or memory usage you depend on a baseline or known good value. At least to automatically get a "FAIL" result here. With recommended two runs, one without, one with a patch we could do a post-processing script that checks for regressions (hopefully not too often trapping on noise...).

(This is also one thing that makes the libstdc++ performance testsuite less
useful)

Richard.