Re: 9 Nov 06 notes from GCC improvement for Itanium conference call

You may want to be aware of this:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SwingModuloScheduling
It could be related.

Vladimir

>Comments by Vladimir: >--------------------- >About software pipelining for Itanium: It is completely broken, more >accurately it never worked for Itanium. Because it is very (probably >most) important optimization for Itanium, after making SP working it >should be switched on by default at least for Itanium to keep it >working. GCC has a lot of optimizations which are not on by default >and they have tendency to be broken sometime.

I'm not sure whether Vladimir Makarov's comment above refers to modulo
scheduling (which is a special case of software pipelining) or to the RCSP
(resource-constrained software pipelining). Anyhow, what I really meant to
cite from the original note is this:

We also plan to fix swing modulo scheduling to make it work on ia64
and improve it by propagating data dependency information to RTL. We
plan to discuss this project on the GCC mailing list in a few weeks.

Vladimir