Re: gpl version 3 and gcc

On Nov 15, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Ed S. Peschko wrote:
My concern - and I'm sure I'm not the only one so concerned - is that
if gcc goes to version 3, linux distribution maintainers will not choose
to go with the new version, or worse, some groups will choose to remain
at gpl2 and others will go to version 3, causing a fork in the gcc code.

This is mostly off-topic, as strange as that sounds, for this list. gnu.misc.discuss is the canonical place for discussions on licensing.

When the FSF is done with v3, I'd expect that gcc will switch over to it. There should be enough distributors of gcc on the GPLv3 review teams to provide solid feedback to the FSF so that their needs can be met. I'd hope that in the end, there will be enough balance to allow distributors to continue distributing gcc under the v3 license. So, the short answer is wait and see. Once v3 is published, we should know within a couple of months after that, check back then.