Re: strict aliasing question

On Nov 11, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
You probably can't, in the case of a shared library, but you probably could for a static library.

I think I agree, though, a JIT can peer past a shared boundary as well. A non-JIT can as well, but it has to have some mechanism to unpeer across the boundary and notice updates to the other side of the boundary. I don't think we'll be peering across a shared boundary in the next 10 years, but, maybe one day.

How will you distinguish these two cases, when all you see is "foo.a" on the command line?

You don't, not for foo.a.