Re: bootstrap on powerpc fails

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Mike Stump wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
> > Perhaps we could take a second look at this decision?  The average
> > system has increased in speed many times since then.  (Although
> > sometimes I feel like bootstrapping time has increased at an even
> > greater pace than chip improvements over the years. :-)
>
> Odd.  You must not build java.

I *always* build java unless it's broken for some reason.  I don't see
what that has to do with it.  Bootstrap times are increasing for me over
the years regardless of whether I include java or not.  This happens
largely because more code is added to GCC, not always because
compile-times get worse.  Or e.g. top level bootstrap recompiles all the
support libraries at each stage, whereas before it didn't.

> I'd rather have one person that tests it occasionally and save the CPU
> cycles of all the rest of the folks, more scalable.

That doesn't give us the full advantage because (unlike tree checking) RTL
checking errors are often very specific to the target implementation.  So
having a few of us use it doesn't help make sure the other targets also
pass.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu