Re: build failure, GMP not available

I wouldn't object to that. It's a bit more build-system complexity, but if it makes it easier for people, then it's worth it.

Actually, since we are at it, I would like to have toplevel configure automatically symlink "foo-1.2.3" to "foo". This way, untarring gmp/mpfr (and maybe also bison/texinfo/whatever) would magically work.

I have not done this until now because binutils, gdb and other things using the gcc/src build system would not work in this scheme. :-(

Paolo