Re: Darwin as primary platform

Bradley Lucier wrote:

On Oct 4, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:

FWIW I think a 64-bit native version might be nice as a separate target, but I've been told there's no real advantage there either on ppc.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment, but with a 64-bit gcc you can compile machine-generated programs that are so large that gcc's internal data structures take more memory than you can address in 32 bits.

Aaah. I agree that this is a useful goal. Why not just add a 64-bit native target then that has a 32-bit multilib if you want that?

i.e. something like powerpc64-*-darwin* with a -m32 multilib?

John Mashey makes this part of his fourth step on the progress from a 32-bit to a 64-bit operating system. Mashey's "10 step program" to move from 32-bit to 64-bit hardware and operating systems can be found on page 32 of the current issue of Queue, which means page 34 of the pdf file

http://www.acm.org/acmqueue/digital/Queuevol4no8_October2006.pdf

*puts in queue to read*

-eric