Explicit field layout

Hello,

I am writing a new GCC front end. One of the features provided by my language (CIL) is explicit field layout and size for records.
I don't know if any other languaje supported by GCC provides this feature. If that's the case, please point me to it so that I can see how to do it.

For the case of explicit record size, what I am doing currently is modifying the TYPE_SIZE() of the declaration after the call to layout_type. It seems to work, but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this.

As for setting the explicit field offset, I haven't tried to do it yet. Would it be enough to set the DECL_FIELD_OFFSET and DECL_FIELD_BIT_OFFSET fields of each field declaration manually? When should it be done (after calling layout_type or before)?

Thank you in advance, Ricardo Fernández Pascual.