Re: gcc trunk vs python

   Would any of the gcc developers care to drop by the python-dev
mailing list and give the author of python an answer?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-August/068482.html

> the recommended patch proposed by the gcc developers.
> This problem should be addressed BEFORE python 2.5 is
> released. The bug report is...
>
> [ 1545668 ] gcc trunk (4.2) exposes a signed integer overflows
>
> in the python sourceforge bug tracker. Thanks in advance
> for attempting to fix this before Python 2.5 is released.

I'm not sure I follow why this isn't considered a regression in GCC.
Clearly, on all current hardware, x == -x is also true for the most
negative int (0x80000000 on a 32-bit box). Why is GCC attempting to
break our code (and then blaming us for it!) by using the C standard's
weaselwords that signed integer overflow is undefined, despite that it
has had a traditional meaning on 2's complement hardware for many
decades? If GCC starts to enforce everything that the C standard says
is undefined then very few programs will still work...