Re: Unnecessary call to mark_temp_addr_taken in calls.c (related to pr25505)?

On 8/22/06, Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
> So, my question is: is it really necessary to mark this location as
> having its address taken?  Yes, the address of the slot is passed to a
> function, however I can't imagine any instances where the function
> retaining that address after the call would be valid.

Your tracing below confirms my recollection that I was the one who added that
code.  Unfortunately, it came in as a merge from another tree, so it's going
to be hard to do the archeology to figure out what it was added for, but the
history certainly suggests to me that there *was* some test case when it did
have a longer life and that's why it was added.

And you did not add that test case, why? Now there is a possible fix for a pretty ugly regression, and we can only *guess* why something is done the way it is???

Gr.
Steven