Getting at basic block info from an insn

Two part question:

1)  Does the control flow graph exist at the time we're emitting assembler
instructions?

2) If so, how do I go at getting at the basic block info, specifically
successor info, if the only thing I have is a rtx for a conditional jump
insn?

Okay, maybe a 3-part question.  Given said jump insn handle, I'm trying to
find out if either of the targets is a loop exit.  Is there an easier way
to do so than finding the successor arcs and seeing if either is flagged as
a loop exit?

Thanks,
Pat