Re: Source code of CIL back-end

The SC discussed it with Richard Stallman, and he agrees that it is not
"dangerous" (the FSF had raised objections to byte-code systems in the
past, so many of us assumed there would be a problem).  So there is no
political/legal objection to including a CIL back end.  If it passes
technical review, it can be included.

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, this is great news!

It is indeed. It's good to see GCC moving forward on these aspects!

We have to start working on the paperwork. Could anybody point us at the relevant forms for the copyright assignment?

I am almost sure that you do not need that, because ST Microelectronics has an assignment for many projects including GCC. But just in case, please wait for a confirmation.

If you want to assign copyright personally to FSF, it would mean that you could keep working on GCC (in the FSF repository) even if you leave ST. If that is the case, just ask for the relevant forms.

My understanding is that the next step is the creation of a development branch. Is it dependent on the paperwork, or can it be done in parallel?

It is dependent on the paperwork. However, as I said, I am almost sure that your employer took care of that for you. As soon as somebody confirms that no further paperwork is necessary, you can create the branch.

Paolo