Re: Project RABLET

Andrew MacLeod wrote:

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 01:04 -0400, Vladimir N. Makarov wrote:

Andrew MacLeod wrote:

The SSA pressure relief through rematerialization described in
Simpson's theses is oriented for such architectures (with a big
regular register file size of 32 as I remember). So it can work for
ppc but it will be less successful for major interest platforms x86 and
x86_64.

I haven't read the thesis, but I would be surprised if it describes what
I am planning to do. Without the integration with expand to do
instruction selection, a few tweaks in some RTL optimizations, and a
very specific gcc-oriented union of all these components, what I am
planning to do would be completely worthless. Remat is really a small
part of it.

The thesis contains a small part about different heuristics of reducing register pressure on SSA through rematerializaion (what and where to rematerialize).

I see your plan is much bigger, not only reducing through rematerialization but other things including better RTL expansion and, more imprortant, doing it in an integrated way.

In any case, it looks as an interesting project. Good luck with that.

What benefit I will see? Well, time will tell :-)