Code Flow for RTL generation

hi,
   I'm trying to figure out the code flow of gcc.But i'm not been
able to locate the location at which an expression is compared with
pattern given in XXXX.md file.

I think XXXX.md file is resposible fo generation of emit-insn.c
file.But again at which point the functions in  emit-insn.c file are
called for generation of RTL file.

Please tell me where in code the pattern matching is done for RTL generation.

thanks,
shazad