Re: Patch queue and reviewing (Was Re: Generator programs can only be built with optimization enabled?)

On 14/06/06, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> wrote:

For example we could introduce secondary maintainers with approval rights for bug fixes only or something along these lines.

Or the secondary maintainers could review patches and reject them but not approve them for commit. They may add comments to help the main maintainer. This may also help in the particular situation when a person is good enough to be a main reviewer but cannot commit herself (perhaps temporally) to be responsive all the time. Any little help from such person will improve the review process and keeping her away just because she cannot dedicate all the required time to be main maintainer is a waste of resources. Such person should be allowed to reject patches and comment them, although the last decision would be taken by the main maintainer.

(or maybe I am missing the point of the discussion...)