Re: Patch queue and reviewing (Was Re: Generator programs can only be built with optimization enabled?)

On 15/06/06, Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> wrote:
For example, would be nice to have a batch tester that
would bootstrap and regression test on 2-5 platforms for all patch
submitters post approval but pre-checkin.  If any regressions, dump
all patches and move on to the next set, repeat as fast as possible.

I am new to the project so please don't take me too seriously if I am saying some dumb thing: why review a patch that doesn't pass bootstrap and check? I mean, there is a patch queue, you put your patch or patch set in the queue, it gets bootstrapped and tested as you said on 2-5 patforms, then either it passes and a notification is send to the potential reviewers or either it doesn't and it is rejected automatically by sending all the information to the submitter and being dropped from the queue.

Maintainers said that they are overwhelmed by the amount of work
required to review. Post-approval testing seems just a waste of time
to me.

Cheers,

Manuel.