sparc elf

Hi,
I have been trying to build sparc elf executables from i386. I got
gcc,binutils and newlibc and configured them with target=sparc-elf .
Now when i got gcc and binutils working , i wrote a small program

test.c:
int main()
{
return 3;
}

i compiled it using sparc-elf-gcc -c test.c.
./sparc-elf-ld --entry=main test.o -o a.out
when i executed a.out on sparc machine it segfaulted and dumped core.

Why does this happen. This is a very small executable and everything
is static. Where i am i doing wrong.

Regards
Nik