Re: [RFC] Optimization Diary

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Devang> This version removes internal radar numbers and replaces s/
> Devang> DW_AT_APPLE.../DW_AT_GNU...
>
> I read this.  I'm not anywhere near an expert in dwarf or anything
> related to this proposal, so please bear with me if I say something
> dumb :-).
>
> I do have a few questions and concerns.

In addition to Tom's concerns, it seems to me to be a *really bad idea*
to try to come up with integer values for every single message, instead
of just placing a string there.

If you are worried about space usage, you needn't be.  Any sane compiler
will place the strings in the .debug_str section, and they will only
appear once (ld even does cross-object-file string section merging here).

If you are worried about the strings not being canonical from version to
version, then just enforce them being canonical at the compiler level.

The easiest way there is to just put a comment before the function or
whatever that generates the string saying it shouldn't be changed
between versions.