libgcc-math and the gcc 4.2 release

Hi,

Following RMS request of removing source copies of other projects I
asked him if he considers it ok to have copies of the generic math
transcendentals routines of glibc in libgcc-math and to distribute
them under GPL + libgcc exception clause license.  He denied that
request and so, after doing the emergency-removal of the wrongly
licensed double parts from libgcc-math I am going to remove the float
parts as well.  This renders the SSE2 abi math functions support
unusable, so I am going forward and remove the following middle-end
patches as well:

2006-01-31  Richard Guenther  <rguenther@suse.de>

        * doc/invoke.texi (-msselibm): Document.
        * target.h (expand_library_builtin): New target hook.
        * builtins.c (expand_builtin): Use expand_library_builtin.
        (default_expand_library_builtin): New function.
        * gcc.c (LINK_GCC_MATH_SPEC): Define.
        (LINK_COMMAND_SPEC): Handle %(link_gcc_math).
        (link_gcc_math_spec): Declare.
        (static_specs): Add link_gcc_math_spec.
        * expr.h (default_expand_library_builtin): Declare.
        * target-def.h (TARGET_EXPAND_LIBRARY_BUILTIN): Define.
        (TARGET_INITIALIZER): Add TARGET_EXPAND_LIBRARY_BUILTIN.
        * config/i386/i386.h: Provide LINK_GCC_MATH_SPEC.
        * config/i386/i386.opt (msselibm): New target option.
        * config/i386/i386.c (ix86_builtin_function_variants): New array.
        (ix86_init_sse_abi_builtins): New function.
        (ix86_expand_library_builtin): Likewise.
        (TARGET_EXPAND_LIBRARY_BUILTIN): Define.
        (override_options): Handle error conditions wrt -msselibm.
        (ix86_builtins): Add function codes for SSE2 ABI builtins.
        (ix86_init_builtins): Call ix86_init_sse_abi_builtins.
        * doc/extend.texi (__builtin_sse2_*): Document new target specific
        builtins.

2006-01-31  Richard Guenther  <rguenther@suse.de>
        Paolo Bonzini  <bonzini@gnu.org>

        * doc/install.texi (--disable-libgcc-math): Document.

Unfortunately this leaves libgcc-math empty for the moment, even if
patches for further utilizing this container were proposed (though after
entering stage3), namely

While I'm now in a position to approve the first one, the second one
is still unreviewed and the first one is of no use if the second one
does not go in for 4.2.

As we're far into stage3 now I propose to remove libgcc-math from the
mainline again and re-instantiate it at the beginning of stage1 again.
In the mean time it would be nice to have it live on autovect branch
where the two patches above could go in now, as I am aware of at least
Andrew Pinskia planning to use the libgcc-math container for Cell work.

Another option would be to remove the library only after branching
for 4.2 and only on that branch.

I will go forward with the first part of this plan (removal of libgcc-math
from the mainline) next week if no serious objections come up.

Thanks,
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@suse.de>