Re: gcc compile time

2006/5/4, Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com>:
On May 4, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     I used gcc-2.96 to compile gcc-3.4.6 core with the c++
> libraries added.
> It took almost if not two hours to compile and that was with these
>
>     make CFLAGS='-O' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2'
> LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap

> I want to cut down on compile time. Are there any options that can
> do that?

You can use ccache to speed it up if you want to compile it over and
over again.  You can use -O0, that's faster than -O2.  Also, you can
install the new compiler, and then just use make instead of make
bootstrap, that's also faster.  Plus, you could just use make all
instead, that's faster than bootstrap.  And lastly, leaving out the -
g is also faster.

If you have dual/multiple CPU's or HT using -j flag for make can speed things up considerably. Probably it would help a bit even on a single CPU machine. If you have several machines with the same compiler versions in LAN you can also use distcc together with the -j flag to distribute the job.

--
Kalle Last