Re: Fw: Status of SEE and Autovectorization patches?

> Roger Sayle <roger@eyesopen.com>
> Sent by: gcc-owner@gcc.gnu.org
>
> 03/05/2006 05:03 PM

> Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
>
> cc

Leehod
> Baruch <leehod.baruch@weizmann.ac.il>, Mircea Namolaru/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
> <leehod@gmail.com>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: Status of SEE and Autovectorization patches?
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Tue, 2 May 2006, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > Roger, I know that you reviewed the SEE patches.  Is there anything
> > more than needs to be done to get them committed, in your view?
>
> As far as I'm aware, we're still just waiting for the Haifa folks to
> commit them to mainline.  There are a number of harmless code generation
> changes on some platforms, but as far as we know no known performance
> regressions.  And the Intel folks are keen to submit follow-up patches
> for x86_64 to extend/enhance this framework once its in the tree.
> And importantly there's a single command-line option/variable that
> can enable/disable this pass should there be any adverse events.
>
> However, my growing concern at the moment is the response time of
> the Haifa folks.  If it's going to go into the tree in stage 3, I'd
> feel more comfortable that the patch submitters/contributors looked
> like they could respond to queries/issues with 24 or 48 hours.  The
> current prolonged silence/inaction doesn't inspire great confidence.
>
> Perhaps you could make the executive decision, that if it isn't in
> the tree by June (or some date of your choosing), that it'll just
> have to wait for 4.3?  My apologies for taking so long to review
> these changes, and I and the GCC maintainership should take some of
> the responsibility for the delays and current inconvenience.
>

> It looks from the e-mail addresses that possibly the primary developer
> of SEE, Leehod, is no longer at IBM but has returned to academia, with
> Mircea pinging the patches.  This could explain things, but is pure
> speculation.  Maybe someone could volunteer to update the posted patches
> for mainline and make the minor style corrections requested in the final
> review/approval?
>
> I've Cc'd Leehod and Mircea on this e-mail, so perhaps they'll be
> able to better explain the current status themselves.

Until they do (we're having our national Memorial-Independence ceremonies
now, ending tomorrow), I can update that a patch has been prepared and
tested, and is expected to be committed very shortly. Leehod is indeed the
primary developer of SEE and has left IBM to continue his studies (we
couldn't hold on to him until the patch was reviewed ;-), but was inspired
by and worked very closely on it with Mircea who is taking care of
following-up and submitting the patch. My apologies for our prolonged
response time, some of which is attributed to preparations for the upcoming
gcc summit and other matters that have been resolved by now.

Ayal.