is libssp native only?

If I try to build libssp in a combined tree with newlib and binutils,
for an embedded target, configure keeps barfing because libssp's
configury is trying (in lots of places) to build executables and/or
run them, neither of which works in for crosses in a combined tree.

And GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES just makes it more obvious where the problems
are, but doesn't actually fix anything.

I had "fixed" m32c to work around this, but I'm beginning to think
that libssp is Just Plain Wrong here, because I'm tripping over it
with sh-elf now too.