Re: "Experimental" features in releases

On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Kai Henningsen wrote:

dberlin@dberlin.org (Daniel Berlin) wrote on 18.04.06 in <1145340618.28433.36.camel@dberlin.org>:

This is in fact, not terribly surprising, since the algorithm used was the
result of Sebastian and I sitting at my whiteboard for 30 minutes trying to
figure out what we'd need to do to make swim happy :).

This would leave -ftree-loop-linear in 4.2, but make it not useful for
increasing SPEC scores.

So is this an object lesson for why optimizing for benchmarks is a bad idea?
It would only be a lesson if we didn't expect the outcome we got :)

Unfortunately, GCC needs to do marketing of performance, just like other compilers.

Sad, but true.