.data and .bss section

Why does gcc put initialized data in .data section and uninitialized data in bss section? Does it provide any optimization? Also, normally gcc initializes global data to zero then what kinds of data go to .bass section? An example would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mohanlal

P.S. - Please CC replies to me. I am not subscribed to the list.