Re: changing the SPARC default

Alexey Starovoytov <alexey.starovoytov@sun.com> writes:

> It seems everybody agreed that solaris 10+ can be changed to -mcpu=v9 default.

Indeed.

> What are the thoughts about Solaris 7,8,9 ?
>
> They don't run on embedded sparcs and the legacy of sun4c, sun4m, sun4d
> systems can now be found mostly on ebay alongside 8bit ISA video card.
> Really, solaris gcc users of sun4c rarity can always configure gcc with
> --with_cpu=v7 or v8. Most of the solaris gcc users are on ultra2 and 3
> and should see immediate benefit of better default.
> I guess it's worth to sacrifice the convenience of the default install
> for sun4c users, so the rest solaris gcc users can have better performance.

Agreed for sun4c, but judging from the discussions on comp.unix.solaris and
opensolaris.org, it seems there's a considerable user base with sun4m
systems that (have to) stay at Solaris 8 and 9, so for their benefit one
could think about going to an -mcpu=v8 default on Solaris 7-9.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University