This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
changing the SPARC default
- From: Alexey Starovoytov <alexey dot starovoytov at sun dot com>
- To: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:10:41 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: changing the SPARC default
The default architecture for GCC SPARC is V7.
What do gcc sparc developers think about changing it to V8PLUS?
Few things to consider:
- v7 is legacy
. used in old Sun's sun4c systems
. 32-bit only
. no integer mul/div insns
- first 64-bit SPARC was made in 1995
. I guess it would be a valid assumption that there are
not so many 32-bit SPARC chips left
- there is a big performance gap between v7 and v8plus
. I guess no need to explain the importance of 64-bit registers
1st choice (the best):
- change the default for all sparc platforms
- change the default for Solaris 7+ and linux
3rd (100% safe):
- change the default for Solaris 10+
Also 64-bit Linux doesn't have to mean 64-bit (v9) gcc compiler,
so at the same time it would be good to change it to v8plus as well.
All that changes can be done by easily tweaking gcc/config.gcc
by adding with_cpu=v9