Re: 100x perfomance regression between gcc 3.4.5 and gcc 4.X

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 15:17 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Ernest L. Williams Jr. <ernesto@ornl.gov> wrote:
> > > In any case: memcpy/memset inlining is broken in current GCC at least
> > > on athlon arch.
>
> let's say it changed.  Also memcpy/memset "inlining" is not regular inlining
> but driven by completely different heuristics.
>
> > Yes, why is the benchmark not valid?
> > Then we would appreciate if the developers could recommend a valid test.
>
> What is the benchmark supposed to measure?

The following is from the website mentioned previously:

What does it benchmark?
Bashmark is testing the things that most applications need. It is trying
to show you how well your hardware works together.
Currently the things which are being tested are:
-Calculations with types of different range
-Calculations with floating point types of different range
-Read and write into the memory with different size.
-Calling your system for memory and give it free with different size.
-Tryout the speed of one main part of multithreading

Ernesto