Re: GCC for SPARC Systems

On Friday 03 March 2006 02:46, Alexey Starovoytov wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the availability of GCC for SPARC (R) Systems
> (GCCfss) at http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/

Instead of pleased, I'd be ashamed for announcing this.  To me
it feels like you're announcing with pride how you ripped off gcc.
Nota bene on a list that exists to discuss how to improve GCC,
not how to take the bits you like and evade the implications of
its license

And to make things worse, you are explaining to users the reason
why gcc4ss should exist using arguments that are simply not true.
For example:

"Especially considering very conservative heuristics and that
inlining happens after all tree-level optimization are completed."
(quoted from your blog).

Anyone who has looked at GCC closely, knows that this is nonsense.
Inlining happens _before_ all (tree-level and other) optimizations.
I have to assume you also looked at GCC close enough to notice.

It is unfortunate, but I guess typical, that Sun has not learned
from the mistakes made by others in the past, for example from how
SGI tried and failed to pull off the same trick with Pro64.

Gr.
Steven