Re: does gcc 4.1 generate "faster" binaries than earlier gcc versions?

Hi,

of course most development on gcc is applied to make the produced
binary faster. Also most benchmarks focus on the speed of the produced
binaries - you just need to look on the right benchmarks ,-)

Whether the generated binary of gcc in a new major version is faster
depends on your code and optimizations used and I have not tested
MIPS recently.

For my code new versions of GCC are usually faster, on x86-64
-frename-registers gave some extra bonus on 4.0 IIRC.

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org