RE: automation: Problem with builddir != srcdir requirement

--- Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:

> On 03 March 2006 11:38, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>

> >>  Programs that do
> >> not support it are buggy and should be reported
> >> the author.
> >
> > This might be good in theory, but in practice it's
> not
> > that simple. I am screening _all_ GNU projects,
> and
> > I'm testing, contacting the maintainers, advicing,
> > writing many, many patches and whole new build
> systems
> > just to have all GNU projects support the
> existence of
> > a working configure script, or a Makefile with the
> > common targets.
> >
> > Maybe when all GNU projects are mostly ok with the
> GNU
> > coding standards, then we can be picky and start
> > fix projects with builddir == srcdir assumption.
> > Now it's not a realistic goal.
>
>   Surely, now, when you're going over the build
> systems of all these projects
> and tidying them up to standard, rather than later,
> in an entire subsequent
> second pass over all the same ground again, is
> /exactly/ the right time to do
> it.

Yes, when I have the chance to provide a completely
new build system, I try to offer a complete and good
one.

> Supporting builddir!=srcdir is only a tiny
> amount extra on top of what
> you're already doing, probably mostly handled simply
> by modifying your
> standard templates for configure scripts.  Doing it
> in a second pass would
> require a /vast/ amount of redundant effort.

Sometimes the maintainers are not too happy to have
their build systems changed, so it happens that I have
to keep changes to a minimum in order to get anything
at all.

>   _Please_ think very seriously about doing it now,
> as you go along.

When I can, I do it. In practice I'll need more than
one pass, and even more than two (test the release
when it comes out, point out remaining problems, or
bugs that crept in for example in the dist: rule,..)

>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Bye,

CLaudio

http://mail.yahoo.it