Re: Preserving bootstrap with non-GCC compilers

Comments? I'm of course also volunteering to write the patch, provided that an adept at the new bootstrap (black) magic gives me a clue as to where I should start. :-)

You just have to write the test in the toplevel configure.in, and place it just before the AC_SUBST(stage1_cflags).

The maintainers may think it different, but I won't see anything wrong in having a simpler

  if test "$GCC" = yes; then
    stage1_cflags="${stage1_cflags} -fkeep-inline-functions"
  fi

since most versions of GCC (at least 2.7.2 which is the oldest I ever used, around 1998 on RH5.2) have the flag.

Paolo