This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 4.1.0 Released
- From: Joe Buck <Joe dot Buck at synopsys dot COM>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:39:14 -0800
- Subject: Re: GCC 4.1.0 Released
- References: <200603011624.k21GOIcS031219@sethra.codesourcery.com>
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:24:18AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> 1. GNU TAR 1.14 is required to unpack the source releases. Other
> versions of tar are likely to report errors or silently unpack the
> file incorrectly.
Red Hat EL3 comes with tar 1.13.25 (though since the RPM package on the
machine I used is 1.13.25-13, it's likely that Red Hat has applied some
fixes to get up to rev 13).
I unpacked gcc-4.1.0.tar.bz2 with both the Red Hat tar package and
with the newest FSF tar (version 1.15.1). There were no warning messages,
and diff -r reports that the two tars produce identical files.
What is the basis for the report that older tars don't work?