Re: iWMMXt/Linux EABI toolchain

--- Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:15:07AM +0000, Steven Newbury wrote:
> > I have managed to build with arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnu, where iwmmxt as the
> vendor
> > string is picked up by my ebuild scripts to pass the iwmmxt target flags.
> > Given my objective, am I wrong to try to make a tool chain that targets
> > xscale-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi specifically or do you just consider it
> unnecessary
> > effort?
>
> I don't think there's any point to the xscale-* triplets nowadays.
My reason for using the xscale-* triplets was because of the warning below from
gcc/config/arm/t-xscale-elf:

# The iWMMXt multilibs are suppressed for now because gcc only
# supports generating them with the IWMMXT or AAPCS ABIs, neither of
# which is the default.  Until GCC can generate code for an iWMMXt
# which will work with the default ABI it is not possible to safely
# generate these multilibs.
#

Since I'm not going to be using the default ABI I thought I would be better off
adding a specific target since my aim is to produce a complete Linux
environment for general use rather than a stand-alone project.  That way I
could enable the iWMMXt multilibs without worrying about incompatibility with
non iWMMXt targets.  Perhaps I'd be better off using iwmmxt-*?

Steve