Re: gfortran and -mlong-double-128

> I guess libgfortran has configury to figure out if kind=16 is available?

Yes.

> If so then libgfortran should be built with -mlong-double-128, as this
> should only add extra symbols that do not conflict with kind=4 and kind=8
> ones.

Hum, that has to be done early in the configury (before all
autodetection). Do you think it's better suited at the beginning of
libgfortran/configure.ac (a special test, to see if -mlong-double-128
is available, and if it is add it to CFLAGS), or should it be done in
an upper level (and here is the limit of my understanding of the build
mechanism)?

> Am I correct that for gfortran there is no such thing as long double
> == double for -mlong-double-64?

This is right. Fortran has a list of available floating-point modes,
and they are chosen by a unique numbering scheme (the number is called
a "kind").

FX