Re: "cscope" type functionality

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | I think it would be more advisable to design something with AST
> | database generation as an explicit goal.
>
> I believe that is a sensible approach, one that I thought a by-product
> of the "Link Time Optimization" proposal.  Such a format will be
> tremendously useful.

Yes, that was part of the motivation for the LTO design that Kenny, I,
and others developed: such a database "falls out" of that design, with
relatively minimal additional effort.  However, whether or not that
proposal will be implemented is still an open question, dependent on
demand, technological evaluation relative to other approaches for
link-time optimization (notably, LLVM), and available resources.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery