Re: C++, export for templates (was: C++ standard)

Ryan Mansfield <RMansfield@qnx.com> writes:

| > Couldn't find anything on it in bugzilla, and I don't think it's worth
| > the effort. IIRC, Herb Sutter and another guy spent 6 months to get it
| > right in the EDG front end (and Herb originally wanted to throw export
| > for templates out of the standard alltogether).
| >
| > --
| > Tarjei
|
| The implementation of export was done by Steve Adamczyk, John Spicer, and
| Daveed Vandevoorde - also known as Edison Design Group (EDG). Herb Sutter
| and Tom Plum wrote a committee paper entitled "Why We Can't Afford Export"
| [1]. The paper points out that it took EDG 1.5 years of planning and 3
| person years to implement export. EDG estimates elapsed time for other
| implementers approximately 2.5 to 3 years, start to finish.
|
| [1] http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1426.pdf

and that paper was debunked when it was presented at the ISO C++
committee in April 2003 at Oxford, UK.  EDG is very willing to give
advice (based on their experience) to anyone interested in
implementing export in, say GCC.  (They want to see the best
implementation of export for C++.)

-- Gaby