Re: Status of -fstack-usage?

Hello,

Having followed this thread and searched a little bit more, I understand that -fstack-usage will dump information into a file at compile time. However, I was wondering whether something similar would be possible at run-time.

I am working on multithreaded libraries and I know that many multithreaded languages have compilers that calculate the required stack size and pass this information on to the associated library. This way, they can handle efficiently memory. However, this is a problem in standalone libraries. If we could have something like:

stack_size = __builtin_stack_size(<function>)

that returns the maximum required stack size for <function>, multithreaded libraries could take advantage of it at run-time, in order to allocate only the amount of required memory.

This is of course not a complete proposal for something, just asking if something like that would be possible at all.

Ioannis