Re: Status and rationale for toplevel bootstrap (was Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap)

On Monday 16 January 2006 16:46, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     So a naiive ./configure && make will configure for host == target ==
>     powerpc64 but still (wrongly so in your opinion?)  build stage1 as
>     32bit binaries (but defaulting to -m64 code generation now), and the
>     following stages will now become 64bit.
>
> That's most *definitely* wrong because we're lying to configure and saying
> we're building a native compiler when we're really building a
> cross-compiler. We're lying as to what the host is!

I don't see how this is any different to boostrapping gcc with any other
system compiler. It's fairly common for the system compiler to use a
different ABI to the new gcc. Why is 32/64-bit any different?

Paul