Re: Status and rationale for toplevel bootstrap (was Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap)

> But you cannot compile *any* Ada program (even
an empty function) without an RTS in the path since it makes builtin
references to the RTS.

For what it's worth, that's the same for Java. But the compiler is not written in Java so you can "bootstrap" it as part of GCC even if you build libjava after it.

And note that to me this is not really a bootstrap, because we're not using jc1 in any way -- it's just built to stress test cc1! So your stricter definition of a bootstrap is not really what GCC has been doing for years. (Not that I don't understand your different definition; but it's just a matter of semantics).

Paolo