Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap

On Thursday 05 January 2006 03:40, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> make stage1-bubble STAGE1_LANGUAGES=c,c++,fortran,java

OK, thanks.  That worked for a recently configured compiler.  Now, suppose
I had:

$ ../trunk/configure
$ make bootstrap check

I now see a few failures that I want to check, so I typically go in
<bld>/gcc/testsuite, cut-n-paste from gcc.log, add '-v -save-temps' and
then 'gdb --args <... cc1 ...>'.

Since that 'cc1' is from the bootstrapped compiler, it's usually unpleasant
to debug, so what I used to do is:

$ cd bld/gcc
$ make restage1 cc1plus f951

But that doesn't work anymore.  The easiest I could think to do in the new
scheme is to alter the path-to-cc1 so that it picks cc1 from
<bld>/stage1-gcc.

However, if I'm debugging cc1plus, <bld>/stage1-gcc does not have a cc1plus
binary.  And the one built in <bld>/stage2-gcc is already optimized.

So my question in this case is how do I recreate a cc1plus binary built
with the host compiler and with '-g -O0'?

I tried the stage1-bubble target, but that didn't help.

Thanks.