Re: Might a -native-semantics switch, forcing native target optimization semantics, be reasonable?

Paul Schlie wrote:

- however as promised I'll abstain from further debate as the community
seems satisfied with accepting the consequences of such optimizations.

I think you misunderstand, everyone agrees that defined and deterministic semantics are
desirable, but also everyone (or perhaps I should say almost everyone) understands that
there are situations where this requirement is too expensive. An obvious example is
uninitialized variables, where in a language like C or Ada, it is considered to expensive
(and not clearly desirable) to preinitialize all variables (though it is useful to have an
option to do this, see pragmas Normalize_Scalars and Initialize_Scalars in Ada, the
former intended for high integrity operation, and the latter for debugging purposes).