Re: Add revision number to gcc version?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:00:10PM -0800, David Daney wrote:

I like this, but what if you also did an svn status to see if there were any modifications WRT the branch/revision and then add either 'clean' or 'modified' to the information.

So you would get (gcc-4_1-branch revision 108596 modified) or (gcc-4_1-branch revision 108596 clean)

I think we already had this discussion and decided that svn status took
too long in many cases.

Maybe have a configure option to disable svn status and return 'unknown' if you disable the svn status part.

It is unfortunate that svn status is so slow, as I think this would be useful information to know.

FWIW:

[daney@dl2 gcc]$ time svn status -q
M      libjava/java/util/GregorianCalendar.java
M      libjava/java/util/Calendar.java

real    0m9.361s
user    0m2.023s
sys     0m1.198s
[daney@dl2 gcc]$ time find . -name dave -ls

real    0m0.857s
user    0m0.223s
sys     0m0.536s

If the buffer cache does not contain the needed blocks, it is significantly slower.

David Daney