Re: Installing libgcj consumes huge amounts of memory

Hi Gerald,

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 00:21 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >> 2005-09-21  Mark Wielaard  <mark@klomp.org>
> >>
> >>         * lib/split-for-gcj.sh: Cut list to 3 package levels deep.
> > I reversed this (patch attached) and now my build with ulimit -v450000
> > passes. But the total virtual memory usage didn't drop that much. It was
> > around 454MB top usage, to 438MB top usage. Build time increased with
> > several minutes. Maybe this was just the tipping point for your setup?
>
> Is it possible that the last Classpath imports caused this to break for
> me (and others), since we added some new modules?

Yes, I think that is what happened since GNU Classpath added a lot of
new standard library code in the last couple of months (those evil
productive hackers...). The particular make file dependency generator
was part of the code for a much longer time.

> Is there any other way to address the problem during installation?
> Perhaps by splitting the package set into two partitions and processing
> these separately or something along these lines?

I hope so, but I admit to not have a real plan yet. But I just setup an
auto-builder for GNU Classpath and cannot test it against gcc trunk
because of the same reason (it is a Xen instance with access to "only"
512MB of main memory) so it just moved up on my must fix list.

Cheers,

Mark