Re: dfp-branch merge plans

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Ben Elliston wrote:

> 3. Merge in libcpp and C (only) front-end changes.
>
> 4. Merge in middle-end changes and internals documentation.

What have you done in the way of command-line options to enable the new
features?

Specifically:

* Decimal fp constants are already preprocessing numbers in the standard
syntax - but in standard C their conversion to a token requires a
diagnostic (at least a pedwarn with -pedantic).  If decimal fp is to be
usable with -pedantic an option is needed to disable that pedwarn/error.

* There is also an arguable case for diagnosing any use of the new
keywords if -pedantic, unless such a special option is passed.

* Any choice of TTDT other than "double" (properly, the type specified by
FLT_EVAL_METHOD, but we don't implement that) would also be incompatible
with C99 and need specifically enabling.

(Previous versions of the DTR - such as the one linked from svn.html -
also provided defined behavior for out-of-range conversions between binary
float and integer types.  This appears to have been removed in the latest
draft, so no code to implement this is needed.  However, such code would
also have needed to be conditional unless benchmarking as per bug 21360
showed no performance impact.)

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)