Re: Thoughts on LLVM and LTO

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Diego Novillo wrote:
You will need to address two, potentially bigger, issues: license and
implementation language.

Over the last couple of years, there have been some half hearted attempts
at suggesting C++ as a new implementation language for GCC.  I would
personally love to see us move to C++, but so far that has not happened.
I am not quite sure how to address this.

As mentioned, there is nothing I can do about the implementation language. If the GCC community doesn't like C++, they are welcome to ignore LLVM and/or take inspiration for it, but I'm personally not interested in being involved.

You will need to get University of Illinois and
past/present LLVM developers to assign the copyright over to the FSF.
Yes, you've claimed it's easy, but it needs to be done.  Otherwise, we are
in limbo.  We cannot do anything with LLVM until this is finalized.

I would definately like to get this process running, but unfortunately it will have to wait until January. The main person I have to talk to has gone to India for Christmas, so I can't really start the process until January. Yes, I'm incredibly frustrated with this as well. :(

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/