Re: Copies of the GCC repository

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

[...]

| There's a lot to be learned (for me at least) about using svk.  At some
| point I will update the wiki with useful bits, but I don't have many
| just yet.  For instance, two open questions while I was writing this:
|
|   - how to make svk refuse commits to the mirrored portion instead of
|     wanting to push them upstream
|   - how to make svk access depots remotely
|
| I'm sure they're both possible, I just don't know how yet :-)

Well, since I do not have an imperial machine equipped lot of gigs on
the harddrive, I took the SVK suggestion very seriously.

At the moment, my attempts to commit patches (based on SVK) have met
failures and generated lot of frustration.

I have a patchlet to cp/error.c I wanted to commit; so I followed the
instructions on the Wiki. My local tree is uptodate with respect to
upstream; I launched "svk push --lump".  After 5 minutes waiting, I
pressed ^C.  Then I tried "svk commit"; it prompted me with my
favorite editor, I entered the commit-log, saved it and exited the
editor.  At that time, I was greated with:

   Merging back to mirror source svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc.
   Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i586-linux-thread-multi/SVN/Core.pm line 576.
   Authorization failed:  at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/SVK/Command.pm line 152

"svk commirt --file 22239.log" yields same greatings back.

So:

   (1) What is supposed to be the blessed tribal incantation to commit a
       patch to upstream GCC when working with SVK?

   (2) Is it normal that "svk push" takes more than 5 minutes to complete?
       If so, that does not match the speed argument I've seen for the
       move to SVN.

Thanks,

-- Gaby