Re: LLVM/GCC Integration Proposal

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:50:52 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:
> Recently, at Apple, I have been working on a new version of the llvm-
> gcc translation layer, built on GCC 4 ...  I plan to have this work
> committed to the Apple branch within a month.

I'm curious as to why Apple is doing this. Is it simply that they think a
GCC with LLVM merged in would be better and don't care for the FSF
politics of it all? Or is there some interest in using the LLVM IR as a
CPU abstraction for software distribution (as was talked about in the
context of autopackage on the LLVM list?).

thanks -mike