RTEMS GCC Status Report

Mark Mitchell wrote:
The number of open serious regressions against 4.1 is a respectable 87,
quite a few of which are P3s, waiting for me to categorize them.  We
still have some work to do before the release, but we will branch on
2005-11-18, as previously announced, at some point late Friday evening.
 Thank you for being patient through the long Stage 3.

Mark we are trying to test furiously and I know that neither Ada nor RTEMS is a primary target but I wanted to pass along a few issues that
are being worked by various people. I am sure that this is not a complete list but covers the important issues impacting RTEMS GCC.

+ PR24912 - m68k build failure: ICE: in reload_cse_simplify_operands
  This is a recent regression and a patch has just been proposed.

+ No PR - The Ada tools mangle target names like arm-rtems4.7.
  Apparently they don't like the version part.  Laurent is working on
  this.

+ No PR - The Ada tools end up invoking a cross compiler which is
  hard coded to be in /usr/bin.  This may be a side-effect of the
  name mangling problem and just a default that is being tripped.
  We don't know yet.

Ralf if I missed something really critical, speak up. I was focusing more on "doesn't work at all" issues. I don't see any ICEs while building RTEMS right now.

The targets we try to build are:

avr-rtems4.7		- C
i386-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
powerpc-rtems4.7	- C, C++, Ada
sparc-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
mips64-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
m68k-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
i686-pc-linux-gnu 	- C, C++, Ada (to bootstrap the others with)
mips-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
arm-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
sh-rtems4.7		- C, C++, Ada
h8300-rtems4.7		- C, C++

For each target, we have been building RTEMS and a handful of other libraries including ncurses, readline, and libtecla.

We are pushing at the avr and it won't build right now and we have filed a PR.

I need to check if the Ada multilib support is ready for us to turn on and push. Right now, I am more concerned that the target name issue
is preventing us from even getting a hello world to link.

--joel